Thread sketching

I’m trying my hand at thread sketching.  A few years ago we went to a bird sanctuary in Alberta where I took some pictures of owls and falcons and other big birds.


First I printed a black and white image on copy paper.  Using a light-box I traced only the main lines that I wanted to stitch onto thin paper eliminating any unwanted areas.  Again tracing the image, this time on fabric.  I used a linen fabric with a bit of texture to the weave.  It did make drawing on it a bit more difficult as I encountered the bumps in the fabric.  I used a dark grey colour thread for the stitching as I thought black might be too stark, I did use black thread for the bobbin and I do like the grey thread stitched side better.


This was fun I and will do some more.

Talk later, Geesje


Purse using Thread Play 1

HI, it’s been a few years since the last post, I keep forgetting to post pictures of projects I’m working on.

My latest project was made because of the wedding of one of our sons and the outfit I bought for it.  I like making my own purses to fit the items I would like to take with me.  Which means a lot of pockets and compartments,  this purse has a front pocket for the phone,  a zippered back pocket for whatnot’s,  two inside zippered pockets and 2 compartments for wallet and more whatnot’s.  The whole purse closes with another zipper,  this way I can’t lose anything….I think, hm?


The flap is a bit big, better next time….


Update, I changed the flap, it looks much better now.


Talk later, Geesje

Fabric Painting with the Fibre Art Divas

Last Saturday we planned to paint some fabric, but the rain kept us inside most of the day.  Of course the weather was nice by the time I got home,  When I emptied my bag I found that some of my paint containers had spilled their contents into the zip bags they were in.   I used three fabric pieces to clean up the mess it had made, placed some plastic stencils on top of the fabric and added some salt as well, as I find that always gives it an extra something something….

IMG_1992        IMG_1995

It looks pretty bright, but after rinsing it faded a bit, next time, iron first, rinse later

IMG_1993         IMG_1996